Perched on top of Castle Hill (Grajska planota) and dominating the city skyline to the…
Congress Square is one of the central squares in Ljubljana. The square was built in 1821 and it was used for ceremonial purposes during the Congress of Ljubljana, after which it was named. After the congress, a park was laid out in the center of the square, which soon acquired the name Star Park (Slovene: Park Zvezda) due to its layout.
Several important buildings face the square. Among them, there is the early Baroque Ursuline Church of the Holy Trinity, the Kazina building, one of the few Neoclassical buildings remaining in Ljubljana after the earthquake of 1895, the Slovenian Philharmonic building, and the rectorate of the University of Ljubljana.
The revised market was officially opened on 3 July 2011.