French revolution Square

TrgFrancoskeRevolucije2-TurjaskaPalaca-Ljubljana
French revolution Square was built in 1793. In 1929, a monument to Napoleon’s Illyrian Provinces was raised in the middle of the square to a design by the architect Jože Plečnik and the sculptor Lojze Dolinar. One side of the square is lined by the Križanke Summer Theatre, a former monastery complex of the Knights of the Cross redesigned by Jože Plečnik between 1952 and 1956. The Theatre complex, managed by the Festival Ljubljana event management company, incorporates the famous Baroque Church of Our Lady of Mercy, built in 1714, Ljubljana’s secondary school of design and a small restaurant. Its most important venue is an outdoor summer theatre seating 1,400 people.

  • Categories
    Joze Plecnik, Squares

Related Attractions