Ljubljanica Sluice Gate

Plečnik_Zapornica_na_Lj-2b
The Ljubljanica Sluice or the Partition is a sluice gate and a triumphal arch on the Ljubljanica River. It is located between Cukrarna (an abandoned sugar factory) and Vraz Square (Vrazov trg)It was designed in 1939 by the Slovene architect Jože Plečnik, who envisaged it as a monumental farewell to the Ljubljanica River on its exit from the Ljubljana city centre. It was planned to be used as a footbridge as well.The sluice gate was built with a lot of trouble from 1940 until 1943 by the constructor Matko Curk.

  • Categories
    Joze Plecnik

Related Attractions